logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Logging-Log4j -> SVN
Date Mon, 12 Sep 2005 03:25:02 GMT
log4cxx:

I haven't completed my due diligence builds, but the layout looked okay.

logging-site (aka site):

The branches should be migrated.  An attempt to rebuild a particular
version of log4j requires the corresponding state of the site logging-
site repository.  There doesn't appear to have been a tag established
for v1_2_12 in the CVS.

log4j and sandbox:

The log4j repository has several directories (contribs and log4jMini)
that I expected to be shifted to the sandbox.  I don't know if the
intent was to rearrange these after the import was complete.  I could
not determine if all the Logging Services CVS were combined into one
single SVN repo.  If so, then it should be possible to move contribs
and log4jMini from logging/log4j over to logging/sandbox after
migration.  However, if each CVS module was mapped to a distinct
repo, then moving the files would be much more complicated.  Since I
could see that there might be some migration of things between the
sandbox and the products, then a single SVN repo for LS may be
preferred.

The directory structure in sandbox (branches, tags and root as
immediate children of sandbox) would be appropriate if "sandbox" were
a single project.  I think it would be more appropriate to have a
multi-project organization where each sandbox effort had its own
trunk, tags and branches.  I think after the initial load sandbox
should look something like:

sandbox/
    log4j/
        contribs/      (from logging-log4j/contribs)
            branches/
            tags/
            trunk/
        mini             (from logging-log4j/log4jMini)
           branches/
           tags/
           trunk/
        sandbox/    (from logging-sandbox)
           branches/
           tags/
           trunk/

I don't care if that is accomplished by migrating everything in its
current structure and then moving things around shortly after initial
import.  I also don't feel it is essential to preserve the tags and
branches for contribs and mini if that is difficult.