logging-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: Chainsaw V2
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2005 15:45:18 GMT
1. On the Chainsaw page you linked to, right below the 'Launch' web
start link, there is a 'download' link that provides the jars.

2. You can specify the location of a config file that should be loaded
whenever Chainsaw starts from the view-show application wide preferences
window - place the URL to your config file in the 'automatic
configuration URL' field at the bottom of the preferences window

2. You could use the 'no receivers defined' popup that comes up when
Chainsaw doesn't have a configuration, select 'browse for a
configuration', select it, and then check the 'don't show me this again'
box.

3. As of log4j 1.3, Chainsaw is no longer included in the core jar -
it's available as a separate download.  It's also moved to its own cvs
repository (logging-chainsaw) - see
http://logging.apache.org/site/cvs-repositories.html

3. Chainsaw v2 has a dependency on log4j 1.3 apis, so we will maintain
compatibility with log4j 1.3 forward.  There is a plan to improve
backward compatibility with log4j 1.2.x before the official release of
log4j 1.3 and Chainsaw V2 (currently Chainsaw V2 can receive logging
events from a log4j 1.2.x socketappender, but only if the events don't
contain location info or MDC).

3. There used to be a link to Chainsaw's page off of log4j's page, but
it disappeared a while back.  I've made a change to fix that but I
haven't updated the site yet.  Chainsaw hasn't disappeared.  Yes, we
started writing Chainsaw v2 over two years ago, and yes, we still
haven't had an officiall release.

4. If you have any other suggestions or comments, please let us know (we
would love the feedback).  If you feel like pitching in and helping,
even better.

Scott