logging-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <nic...@hedhman.org>
Subject Re: SVN Migration?
Date Thu, 21 Jul 2005 04:47:25 GMT
On Thursday 21 July 2005 05:22, Curt Arnold wrote:

> In our current CVS setup, each sub-project (chainsaw, log4cxx, log4j,
> log4net, site) have their own CVS module with distinct lists of
> committer and change notifications.

First of all, there is a single Repo for the Entire ASF public codebase :o)
So that is not a choice.

> That is have Logging Services committers who have
> write access to all products (instead of log4j committers, log4net
> committers, etc)

Authorization can in Svn be set "per directory". You can request that
/logging/sandbox/unofficial/docs should be read/write access by everyone (in
the world) if you want to, without anyone can read or write the directories
leading to that one.
So, if you want to unify committership, that is fine, if you want to keep the
current way, that is also fine.

> have all change notifications go to
> svn@logging.apache.org (instead of going to log4j-
> dev@logging.apache.org, log4cxx-dev@logging.apache.org, etc).

Notification are set up in a mailer.conf, and again is very flexible. For each
"destination" one defines a "group". The group is defined by giving a regular
expression on the "directory" that the commit is done on.

[logging-log4j]
for_paths = ^/logging/log4j
commit_subject_prefix = [log4j] svn commit:
propchange_subject_prefix = [log4j] svn propchange:
to_addr = log4j-dev@logging.apache.org
reply_to = log4j-dev@logging.apache.org

OR, for instance

[logging-log4j]
for_paths = ^/logging/log4j
commit_subject_prefix = [log4j] svn commit:
propchange_subject_prefix = [log4j] svn propchange:
to_addr = svn@logging.apache.org
reply_to = log4j-dev@logging.apache.org

I.e. you can keep the current behaviour, or can choose something differnt,
either now or request that later.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers
Niclas