On 19/05/2005, at 6:37 AM, Harry Hartley wrote:

This may be another documentation issue, or a lack of understanding on my
part, but from my reading the SocketAppender does not support layouts. From
the javadoc for socketappender. " SocketAppenders do not use a layout."

So if I want to send the same log events to a file and to chainsaw in an XML
format using XMLLayout, how does one do this? Again my understanding is that
SocketAppenders do not support layouts.

What am I missing?

First question, why _do_ you want to send the event to Chainsaw in XML layout?  Why not use 2 Appenders?  A File Appender with XMLLayout, and a SocketAppender.  They can both be attached to the same logger, and act independently.

cheers,

Paul