logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Sandbox subproject
Date Tue, 10 May 2005 17:32:54 GMT
I would like to start a discussion on creating a Logging Services
Sandbox sub-project along the lines of the Jakarta Common Sandbox
(http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/).   The Sandbox would be
a home for grand experiments and emerging projects within Logging
Services.  Potential work that could be done within the sandbox would
include:

1. log4YOUR_LANGUAGE_HERE: Currently log4j ports for other languages
tend to be started on SourceForge, then have to endure incubation.
If there was a moderately low-threshold way of starting the work
under an ASF license, then there would not be a need to later
sanitize the license and work to iron out any consistency issues.

2. UGLI-type efforts: Projects that don't fit neatly within the
existing sub-projects but have potential (but not assurance) of
helping the greater logging community.

3. New logging metaphors: Inversion of control, aspect oriented

4. Bridges between sub-projects.  log4cxx appenders that dispatch
log4net messages, etc.

There is already a logging-log4j-sandbox module that could be
migrated to start LS Sandbox, but I'm not really familiar with it.  I
don't have a log4X that I'm just dying to get started, but it could
be handy to have a place ready.

If this follows other Sandbox models, all LS committers would also
have commit rights on the sandbox.  If an outside developer wanted to
start a log4X, they'd likely need to convince some existing
developers to go along and the PMC to approve commit rights to the
sandbox.