logging-general mailing list archives

From "Moynihan, Edward" <EMoyni...@russellmellon.com>
Subject Logging best practices?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:28:06 GMT
Hi,
Can someone provide advice or best practice for this problem? We use the Spring framework
(v1.0) and have the following setup in our web.xml to initiate logging

<context-param>
<param-name>log4jConfigLocation</param-name>
<param-value>/WEB-INF/conf/log4j.properties</param-value>
</context-param>

This is fine and has been working for us. However, now we are moving into managed regions,
which equate to a test, qa and prod regions. The problem now becomes a question of managing
the logging level depending on what region we are in.

We do not have the ability to change the application property files once it moves into Test
and all files from Test get moved up to QA. All files from QA eventually move up to Prod.
So, as you can see, if we turn on logging in Test, then that logging will be on in Prod, which
we do not want.

We know what region we are in because we start the application server up with a System property
that we can access. This tells us what region we are in. So we are thinking we will have 4
versions of the log4j.properties file, with the following directory structure

/WEB-INF/conf/dev/log4j.properties
/WEB-INF/conf/test/log4j.properties
/WEB-INF/conf/qa/log4j.properties
/WEB-INF/conf/prod/log4j.properties

Is this the correct approach? I presume I will have to customize org.springframework.web.util.Log4jConfigServlet.
I'm interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

Ed