logging-general mailing list archives

From "Moynihan, Edward" <EMoyni...@russellmellon.com>
Subject RE: Logging best practices?
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2004 16:06:13 GMT
   While I understand and appreciate your comments, I unfortunately have to work within the
framework that I outlined.

   To summarize, when I create a WAR file, it must contain the difference logging levels for
all managed regions.  In this case, those regions are Test, QA and Prod.  I am working within
the application server administrators policy and there policy states that one build will be
performed to Test.  That build will be moved in its entirity to QA.  The files in QA will
be moved in their entirity to Prod.  I do not have the opportunity to build a release specific
to QA or to Prod.

   To know what region we are working with, the application server is started up with a system
property that we can interrogate.  So with that information, is there are a way that I can
easily implement logging specific to regions?

   Someone on the Spring Framework board suggested the following;

     "I think that log4j also allows system property substitution in its properties files
so you could have something like:

      Code:
      log4j.rootCategory=${region.logLevel}, A1

      And then set region.logLevel as a system property."

-Ed.