logging-general mailing list archives

From "Nicko Cadell" <ni...@neoworks.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:20:51 GMT
Regarding the Incubator exit criteria for log4net:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Ex
it+Requirements

My only concern is with the requirement:

"The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there's
at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single company
or entity that is vital to the success of the project)"

This is one of the most important requirements.
Currently 2 of the 3 log4net committers are directors of, and
shareholders in, the same company. This may technically violate the
"legally independent" requirement, however the company itself does not
participate in the development nor does it have any control over the
committers work on the project. I don't think that his situation should
present a problem, however it is something that should be raised at this
point.

The other point is that currently log4net does not have a bug tracking
system in place. Whilst I understand the importance of bug tracking in
any software project (and am quite familiar with Bugzilla), to date we
have been able to discuss and resolve issues on the dev list very
effectively. My concern, driven by watching the log4j dev list, is that
most of the bug reports raised are actually questions that should be
asked on the user or dev list. How do the log4j developers view this
issue and what can we do to mitigate it? I am sure that we will need to
setup a Bugzilla in the near future and immediately if required.

Nicko
Nicko Cadell
log4net development
http://logging.apache.org/log4net