logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:46:24 GMT

On Nov 26, 2004, at 3:37 AM, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> Nicko,
>
> Indeed,  I  am  certain   that  all  those  involved  appreciate  your
> frankness.  At this stage,  in order  to build  a wider  community, my
> advice to  you would be  actively seek ways  in which to  enlarge your
> committer base. On  way to get there, is to  grant committer status to
> those developers who  show that they have got a clue.   Note that I am
> not  suggesting to  get nonchalant  about it,  but only  slightly less
> conservative. It  boils down  to keeping the  clueless out  and giving
> those who show promise a  chance. Compare  this with the HTTPD project
> which  is   reputed  to  grant  comittership  status   only  to  those
> contributors who show consistent  and real committment to the project,
> say for at least 6 months.

I'm up to my eyeballs with log4cxx right now, but I have submitted bug
reports previously (over a year ago) to log4net and already have my
Apache CLA in order.

> Regarding to jira/bugzilla or not to jira/bugzilla question, I believe
> that the  decision regarding such a  technical matter is  best left to
> the people  actually doing  the work. I  am fairly confident  that the
> Board would sustain this view, if it ever came to that.
>
> Keep in mind  that there must be a convenient  way for contributors to
> submit patches.  The log4net@  lists apparently strip attachments; not
> your fault but mine. Having contributors post their patches at SF does
> not  come through  very  well.  You  should  consider completing  your
> migration away  from SourceForge. The  mailing lists should  be closed
> down, for example by refusing  new posts and new subscriptions. Remove
> all file releases at SF. (Even under incubation, you can distribute a
> "snapshot"  release  here at  Apache.)  Close  down  the bug  tracking
> system, the  CVS repository,  etc. In short,  there should  be nothing
> left  at http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4net/  except  pointers to
> http://l.a.o/log4net/.

The generic Apache JIRA set up has an explicit choice whether attached
files are being submitted to ASF or not, it avoids the potential
uncertainty or ambiguity of submissions to the mailing list.  For
example, I had one user send me an email with a "submission" but his
email had a standard corporate boilerplate signature saying that the
content of the message was confidential and for the addressee only.
Had to delete that message without looking at the patch.

I think it would be desirable for the existing SourceForge bug and
feature request trackers to be imported into JIRA.  They can exported
as XML using http://sourceforge.net/export.  I'd recommend exporting
the SF bugs, zipping up the XML file and sending it off to jira at
apache.org to see if they either can import the existing bug list or
provide guidance on how to do it.

I'd also recommend trying to preserve the existing mailing list history
somehow.