logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:47:05 GMT
At 04:38 AM 11/27/2004, Mark Womack wrote:
>Nicko,
>
>2) I think some kind of bug tracking system is required.  Users of the
>library will use it to enter bugs and obviously the committers will use it
>to track and resolve issues.  I see this more as a communication medium
>and a long-term continuity issue.  Searching through mail archives to find
>bug resolutions can be tedious.  Yes, you get questions in the bugs, but
>you can always close them and educate the user as to what forum to use for
>such issues.

I  do agree  with you.   However, there  is bigger  principle involved
here. Given that we (as in you  and me) presumably are not going to do
the  actual work, it  is not  this PMC's  job to  tell log4net  how to
handle their day to day  business. This PMC can provide guidelines but
the  ultimate decision  power regarding  low-level  technical details,
subject only to the means at  our disposal, lies with the people doing
the work, the log4net community  in this case.  If log4net decides not
to use  a given resource at  their disposal, it is  their choice. This
principle  has  important  positive  implications.  First,  it  avoids
suffocating the  people doing  the (grunt?) work.   It gives  them the
liberty  to mature  on their  own, by  making their  own  mistakes and
learning from them.

This PMC will intervene, potentially  with a heavy hand, only in cases
involving IP rights, licensing and the collaborative nature of a given
project  under  its  purview.  Our  culture  of  trust  and  pervasive
delegation has been one of  the secret recipes for our success whereas
tight procedures  tend to be  as helpful and  pleasant as the  odor of
second hand garlic.

--
Ceki Gülcü