logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:07:14 GMT
At 12:01 AM 11/27/2004, Nicko Cadell wrote:

> > Keep in mind  that there must be a convenient  way for
> > contributors to submit patches.  The log4net@  lists
> > apparently strip attachments; not your fault but mine.
>
>The lists allow plain text attachments but strip binaries including
>ZIPs.
>This, I think, is a good thing.

Again such low-level technical decisions are ultimately yours to
make. I will help you implement whatever policy log4net committers end
up choosing.

>The sourceforge lists require moderator approval and now have almost no
>traffic (apart from spam ;) I should probably close them up now. The SF
>site is only used to provide the downloads of the old versions of
>log4net. We are planning our first release from the apache codebase
>(ensuring the documentation is in sync with the code is the main
>remaining item) and when that happens we will certainly not continue to
>link to the SF site.

OK, looking forward for an all ASF log4net snapshot. :-)

>I am slightly wary about eradicating the old versions entirely. I know
>they can't be served by apache. Is it still possible to download a
>version of log4j that is pre-Apache?

The  last I  heard, some  remote  corners of  IBM still  used a  rogue
pre-ASF  version of  log4j.  However, as  far  as I  am  aware, it  is
impossible  to download  a pre-ASF  version of  log4j from  a publicly
available resource.  Actually, if my  memory serves me  correctly, the
distribution of the pre-ASF  versions of log4j was discontinued almost
immediately after log4j's acceptance at the ASF. At the time there was
no such thing  as the incubator, and I sincerely  doubt if log4j would
have or  could have joined the  ASF under the  conditions currently in
effect.

--
Ceki Gülcü