logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:37:36 GMT

Nicko,

Indeed,  I  am  certain   that  all  those  involved  appreciate  your
frankness.  At this stage,  in order  to build  a wider  community, my
advice to  you would be  actively seek ways  in which to  enlarge your
committer base. On  way to get there, is to  grant committer status to
those developers who  show that they have got a clue.   Note that I am
not  suggesting to  get nonchalant  about it,  but only  slightly less
conservative. It  boils down  to keeping the  clueless out  and giving
those who show promise a  chance. Compare  this with the HTTPD project
which  is   reputed  to  grant  comittership  status   only  to  those
contributors who show consistent  and real committment to the project,
say for at least 6 months.

Regarding to jira/bugzilla or not to jira/bugzilla question, I believe
that the  decision regarding such a  technical matter is  best left to
the people  actually doing  the work. I  am fairly confident  that the
Board would sustain this view, if it ever came to that.

Keep in mind  that there must be a convenient  way for contributors to
submit patches.  The log4net@  lists apparently strip attachments; not
your fault but mine. Having contributors post their patches at SF does
not  come through  very  well.  You  should  consider completing  your
migration away  from SourceForge. The  mailing lists should  be closed
down, for example by refusing  new posts and new subscriptions. Remove
all file releases at SF. (Even under incubation, you can distribute a
"snapshot"  release  here at  Apache.)  Close  down  the bug  tracking
system, the  CVS repository,  etc. In short,  there should  be nothing
left  at http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4net/  except  pointers to
http://l.a.o/log4net/.

Given that  you have the  formal backing of  this PMC, I think  we can
submit  our proposal  to  graduate log4net as  soon as it becomes a no
brainier case.  I expect we can reach that stage by early next year.

At 10:20 PM 11/25/2004, Nicko Cadell wrote:
>Regarding the Incubator exit criteria for log4net:
>http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Ex
>it+Requirements
>
>My only concern is with the requirement:
>
>"The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there's
>at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single company
>or entity that is vital to the success of the project)"

[cut]

--
Ceki Gülcü

  The complete log4j manual:  http://qos.ch/eclm