logging-general mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Fri, 26 Nov 2004 04:39:22 GMT

On Nov 25, 2004, at 3:20 PM, Nicko Cadell wrote:
> The other point is that currently log4net does not have a bug tracking
> system in place. Whilst I understand the importance of bug tracking in
> any software project (and am quite familiar with Bugzilla), to date we
> have been able to discuss and resolve issues on the dev list very
> effectively. My concern, driven by watching the log4j dev list, is that
> most of the bug reports raised are actually questions that should be
> asked on the user or dev list. How do the log4j developers view this
> issue and what can we do to mitigate it? I am sure that we will need to
> setup a Bugzilla in the near future and immediately if required.

Many Apache projects are migrating from Bugzilla to JIRA
(http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/secure/Dashboard.jspa).  We have been
using it on log4cxx and would recommend starting with it instead of
Bugzilla, though I'm sure other groups could give you better reasons
than "pretty" and "all the cool kids were using it" (actually it was
set up before I was involved in log4cxx).

Obviously there is some content overlap between the mailing list, the
bug system and FAQ. log4cxx haven't had any problem with excessive bug
logging.  Most bugs from the community first get described on the
mailing list and then transcribed as bug reports on JIRA so that other
developers can see where they can pitch in.

View raw message