logging-general mailing list archives

From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net
Date Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:38:16 GMT
Nicko,

1) For those of us that have been completely out of it for some time, can
you please outline/list the committers active for the log4net project?

2) I think some kind of bug tracking system is required.  Users of the
library will use it to enter bugs and obviously the committers will use it
to track and resolve issues.  I see this more as a communication medium and
a long-term continuity issue.  Searching through mail archives to find bug
resolutions can be tedious.  Yes, you get questions in the bugs, but you can
always close them and educate the user as to what forum to use for such
issues.

thanks,
-Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicko Cadell" <nicko@neoworks.com>
To: "Logging General" <general@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 1:20 PM
Subject: [Norton AntiSpam] RE: [VOTE] Graduation of log4cxx and log4net

Regarding the Incubator exit criteria for log4net:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Ex
it+Requirements

My only concern is with the requirement:

"The project is not highly dependent on any single contributor (there's
at least 3 legally independent committers and there is no single company
or entity that is vital to the success of the project)"

This is one of the most important requirements.
Currently 2 of the 3 log4net committers are directors of, and
shareholders in, the same company. This may technically violate the
"legally independent" requirement, however the company itself does not
participate in the development nor does it have any control over the
committers work on the project. I don't think that his situation should
present a problem, however it is something that should be raised at this
point.

The other point is that currently log4net does not have a bug tracking
system in place. Whilst I understand the importance of bug tracking in
any software project (and am quite familiar with Bugzilla), to date we
have been able to discuss and resolve issues on the dev list very
effectively. My concern, driven by watching the log4j dev list, is that
most of the bug reports raised are actually questions that should be
asked on the user or dev list. How do the log4j developers view this
issue and what can we do to mitigate it? I am sure that we will need to
setup a Bugzilla in the near future and immediately if required.

Nicko
Nicko Cadell
log4net development
http://logging.apache.org/log4net