logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: a few remarks about Web sites
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:17:14 GMT

In general, you should know that all Logging Services committers have
access to the logging-site module which
means that you can modify the logging services site whenever you want.

At 06:10 AM 7/21/2004, Michaël CATANZARITI wrote:
>Hi all !
>These are a few remarks about web sites
>- I think the main web site should have a direct link to the Apache home
>page (like in log4cxx, log4net, and log4php)
>- May be each sister project should have the same top items in the menu bar
>- Each sister project should have the same font

What do you think of the latest changes?

>- The "Bug Reporting" section in the logging site is too specific to
>log4j. How can add a link to log4cxx Jira repository ?

You can fix this yourself. See
http://logging.apache.org/site/logging-site.html although Yoav has added a
log4cxx link.

>In the "Plan" section, the link to "Cactus project's roadmap" is broken
>In the "Download" section, the link to log4cxx, logphp, log4net are the
>old ones but the not the Apache ones. May be could you specify official
>Apache logging sister projects separately from the other ports.

Done by Yoav.

>Theses remarks not only concerning the web sites :
>What about having the same XML schema or DTD for all projects with the a
>main tag "apache.logging" instead of "log4j" or "log4php" or "log4net" ?

This was mentioned previously and it makes sense. Note that log4j 1.3 will
not be using a DTD. It does not use a schema currently but it might in the

>We could have some common names for common Layouts and Appender :
>"apache.logging.FileAppender", "apache.logging.ConsoleAppender",
>"apache.logging.PatternLayout", but let each sister project add specific
>appenders and layout.

That would break bw compatiblity...

>We could find a common format spec for the PatternLayout.

>We could publish the XML schema or DTD (I prefer xchema) on the main
>logging site.

>We could public common UML diagrams (Platform Independant Models, the left
>branch of the MDA Y) in the main logging site.

>We could have a common road map to support new Appenders, Layouts, or
>common features.

>That's all for the moment :-))

Note every LS committer can initiate the work on this.

>log4cxx project manager

Ceki Gülcü

View raw message