logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Unsolicited proposal for log4cxx project
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 12:18:51 GMT

Hello,

Here is an unsolicited proposal intended for consumption by the
log4cxx project.

While setting up a linux server using the gentoo distribution, I
noticed that there were several new syslogd clones available. See the
list below.

It seems to me that by implementing a syslog compatible interface, the
log4cxx project would stand to gain massively in its attractiveness
and popularity.

As far as I know the syslog interface is in C, but since C++ is a
superset of C, that should not be an unsurmountable problem. Or?

Given that many of the syslog clones are distributed under the BSD or
MIT licenses which are both quite similar to ASL version 1.0, their
inclusion in log4cxx verbatim or in modified form should not be a
major hurdle. (Although I'd have to double check this with the board.)

Anyway, is this something the log4cxx project would be interested in?
As this is an unsolicited proposal, please feel free to ignore.

*  app-admin/sysklogd
       Latest version available: 1.4.1-r10
       Latest version installed: 1.4.1-r10
       Size of downloaded files: 79 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.infodrom.org/projects/sysklogd/
       License:     BSD

*  app-admin/newsyslog
       Latest version available: 1.1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 152 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.weird.com/~woods/projects/newsyslog.html
Theodore Ts'o
       License:     MIT

*  app-admin/sdsc-syslog
       Latest version available: 1.0.2
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 478 kB
       Homepage:    http://security.sdsc.edu/software/sdsc-syslog/
services
       License:     BSD

*  app-admin/syslog-ng
       Latest version available: 1.6.4
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 355 kB
       Homepage:    http://www.balabit.com/products/syslog_ng/
       License:     GPL-2

*  dev-lisp/cl-syslog [ Masked ]
       Latest version available: 0.9.1-r1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 3 kB
       Homepage:    http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-syslog/
to the syslog logging facility under Unix.
       License:     BSD

*  dev-perl/Unix-Syslog
       Latest version available: 0.100-r1
       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
       Size of downloaded files: 11 kB
       Homepage:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Unix/MHARNISCH/Unix-Syslog-0.100.readme
       License:     Artistic