logging-general mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <Paul.Sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject RE: [www]: Mime types & Java Webstart
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 03:27:30 GMT
> This may be my paranoia talking, but who is the intended audience for
> this Java Web Start app, and how many people do you expect
> will run it?
> If the audience might be large, Is it possible for this to be sent
> through the mirrors?

They are good points.  Initially the url to download it has been sent out on
the log4j-dev list, so I would not expect many to take to it yet, but
realise that once the jars are downloaded once, the local Java webstart
really just checks to see if any changes in the jars have been made, so
effectively Web start will be looking for 304 Not Modified, and then it
won't bother downloading it unless a new version is output.

If we(I) am able to upload/sync the directory
(/www/logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/webstart/*) to the mirrors, then we
could arrange links to them for people in different areas to point to the
mirrors, but it would be up to the individual users to make sure they decide
which URL they should use inside Web Start.

Please let me know if there is any more information I can assist you with, I
would hate to put too much load on the main website.  Hadn't thought about
that.

cheers,

Paul Smith