logging-general mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject Re: [www]: Mime types & Java Webstart
Date Thu, 13 May 2004 03:46:47 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>This may be my paranoia talking, but who is the intended audience for
>>this Java Web Start app, and how many people do you expect will run it?
>>If the audience might be large, Is it possible for this to be sent
>>through the mirrors?
>>

>Manoj, that is the same question I had when I saw it.  However, I doubt that
>we can ask the mirrors to all add the MIME type.  My thought is that if we
>discover that this file is an issue, we can off-load it to the European
>colo.
>
>	--- Noel

Would it be better to start placing it at the European colo now?
Eventually the goal is that this application would be 'run' by many
people, but since the web start version would only be updated on a dot
release, or critical fix, for the most part it would result in 4 HTTP
hits to the web server, all returning 304 Not Modified, unless a new
user starts using it, and then Web start would download the .jnlp file
and associated files, which would total 900kb at the moment.  So yes, a
reasonable hit to the server might be initially seen, with it tapering off.

There is a possibility of creating a custom jar that contains only the
files needed by the app, but I am not sure how much that would save, as
it needs a fair bit from the log4j core jar.

cheers,

Paul Smith