logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: cvs: docs/site/bylaws.html src/xdocs/site/bylaws.xml
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:42:18 GMT
At 01:37 PM 4/19/2004, Michael CATANZARITI wrote:
>Ceki,
>
>1/ I had already added a "download" page in log4cxx web pages :
>http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx/download.html
>Should I remove it, and put links to binary files on the general binindex.html
>page ?

In order to have log4cxx binaries to be mirrored, the binary files must reside
under /www/www.apache.org/dist/logging/log4cxx/. You can organize the files
as you wish, as long as they are somewhere under
/www/www.apache.org/dist/logging/log4cxx/. For example, you could have a
sub directory for each new version and point to the latest release with a
soft link.

Whereas for the download presentation page, you have three options. You can
either:

1) update the shared download page
(http://logging.apache.org/site/binindex.cgi) by updating
cvs://logging-site/src/xdocs/site/binindex.xml

or

2) create a log4cxx specific download page under
http://logging.apache.org/log4cxx. Just let me know which page it is and I
will perform the necessary configuration updates so that your log4cxx
specific download page is taken into account (it won't work otherwise).

or

3) Both 1) and 2). Have your files under the shared page *and* also the
log4cxx page.

I think just 1) is both sufficient and easy to maintain. However, you now
know that 2) and 3) are other possible options.

>2/ For the moment, log4cxx is in beta version. So I deliver versions very
>often
>to fix bugs detected by users, as soon as possible.
>I could suggest users to directly uses the CVS access to synchronize with the
>lastest fixed, and not deliver so many beta versions. However, some users
>can't
>have access to CVS, because of firewalls or proxies.
>I could also regulary deliver a CVS snapshot, with no version number.
>What do you suggest me ? What is the procedure with log4j ?

The vast majority of users prefer to download binary files.

For log4j, we create new releases as we go along unless the code in CVS
head is not ready for public release. As a rule of thumb, for every user
who will go to the pains of building from CVS, 10'000 users will download a
binary file. Currently, log4j 1.3 is not ready for testing by a large
community. (There is no point in getting 50 bug reports for the same item.)

>3/ If I understood well, a major version of each logging sub-project, must be
>validated by the PMC, before its official release. Naturally, I would say that
>only major versions of the sub-projects should be referenced on the page
>binindex.html
>
>So, I'm not sure that I should put the minor, or developpement versions of
>log4cxx on this page.

As long as you are careful with intellectual property (IP) issues, that is
as long as the code does not infringe on someone else's copyright and as
long as you include proper references to the ASF license (version 2.0) in
your files, the PMC will not get in your way.

 From the IP point of view, there is *no* difference between an official
release and a beta release.

I hope this sheds some light on the issue.

--
Ceki Gülcü