logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject RE: logging and log4perl
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:21:05 GMT
Hi David,

At 01:47 PM 3/30/2004 -0800, Viner, David wrote:
>Excellent.  Thanks for the encouragement.  From reading the notes on the
>incubator website, and the log4net example, here's what I can see as the
>steps:
>
>1. Log4Perl community submits proposal.

Yes, that is the main hurdle.

>2. Need to be nominated for incubation by a member of ASF.
>3. Need to be approved by a sponsor (Logging Services)

I do not see a problem in this case.

>http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html mentions this
>proposal, but doesn't specify what it should contain. Can I see the proposal
>for log4net and use that as a template?

Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it in due time.

> >From reading the policy, it looks like the code is required to be:
>         - hosted in CVS on apache.org

absolutely.

>         - licensed under Apache Software license.

absolutely.

>Is hosting the code on sourceforge's cvs tree sufficient? or will we need to
>move the code to apache's cvs?  and similarly with documentation... will
>that need to move to logging.apache.org site instead of the it's current
>location?

You have to move both the CVS and the docs. The whole things does not make
much sense otherwise, or does it?

>The Log4perl code is currently licensed as
>"This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>under the same terms as Perl itself."
>Is this compatible with ASL? or will we need to alter it?  I believe perl is
>distributed under the "Artistic license", but I have no idea the
>relationship between this and the Apache Software License.

Hmm. Bummer. The ASF will not host anything which is not ASL licensed. So the
license would need to be changed. I do not know how much of a problem
it is for the log4perl community but I know for sure that the ASF will
not accept anything not under the ASL, double licensing is also not
acceptable. I am sorry, that is just the way that it is.

--
Ceki Gülcü