logging-general mailing list archives

From "Viner, David" <dvi...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: logging and log4perl
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 18:49:46 GMT
hmm... ok... sounds like licensing might kill this.

would it be at least possible to link to the log4perl stuff from the logging
services website? perhaps under some title like "related non-asf software"
or something?

dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Ceki Gülcü [mailto:ceki@qos.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, March 31, 2004 10:21 AM
To: Logging General
Subject: RE: logging and log4perl

Hi David,

At 01:47 PM 3/30/2004 -0800, Viner, David wrote:
>Excellent.  Thanks for the encouragement.  From reading the notes on the
>incubator website, and the log4net example, here's what I can see as the
>steps:
>
>1. Log4Perl community submits proposal.

Yes, that is the main hurdle.

>2. Need to be nominated for incubation by a member of ASF.
>3. Need to be approved by a sponsor (Logging Services)

I do not see a problem in this case.

>http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html mentions this
>proposal, but doesn't specify what it should contain. Can I see the
proposal
>for log4net and use that as a template?

Don't worry about it. I'll take care of it in due time.

> >From reading the policy, it looks like the code is required to be:
>         - hosted in CVS on apache.org

absolutely.

>         - licensed under Apache Software license.

absolutely.

>Is hosting the code on sourceforge's cvs tree sufficient? or will we need
>move the code to apache's cvs?  and similarly with documentation... will
>that need to move to logging.apache.org site instead of the it's current
>location?

You have to move both the CVS and the docs. The whole things does not make
much sense otherwise, or does it?

>The Log4perl code is currently licensed as
>"This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
>under the same terms as Perl itself."
>Is this compatible with ASL? or will we need to alter it?  I believe perl
is
>distributed under the "Artistic license", but I have no idea the
>relationship between this and the Apache Software License.

Hmm. Bummer. The ASF will not host anything which is not ASL licensed. So
the
license would need to be changed. I do not know how much of a problem
it is for the log4perl community but I know for sure that the ASF will
not accept anything not under the ASL, double licensing is also not
acceptable. I am sorry, that is just the way that it is.

--
Ceki Gülcü