logging-general mailing list archives

From "Viner, David" <dvi...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: logging and log4perl
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2004 17:44:19 GMT
after some more digging, it turns out that Log4perl is licensed in this way:

"
Copyright 2004 by
Mike Schilli <m@perlmeister.com> and Kevin Goess <cpan@goess.org>.

This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the same terms as Perl itself. This means you can
redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of either:

     a) the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software
        Foundation; either version 1, or (at your option) any later
        version, or

     b) the "Artistic License" which comes with Perl.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND,
INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY WARRANTIES OF ACCURACY OR
COMPLETENESS OF ANY INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THE SOFTWARE OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
"

Since I'm no lawyer, can someone tell me if this is compatible with the ASL?
According to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html, all versions of
the ASL are incompatible with the GPL.  Of course, it sounds like this is in
doubt: http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html.

Is the artistic license compatible with ASL?
Since the copyright allows for the software to be distributed under _either_
terms, am I correct in believe that only one of these licenses needs to be
compatible with the ASL?

thanks
dave