logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Setup Logging Wiki
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2004 09:39:09 GMT
At 12:18 AM 1/8/2004 -0800, Mark Womack wrote:
>I thought so too.  And Noel replied to me:
>
> > Mark Womack wrote:
> >
> >> but maybe there is an argument for it to be:
> >> wiki.apache.org/jakarta/$subproject
> >
> > As I have explained before, that would be a wiki named jakarta with a page
> > named $subproject.  Change notices would go to the address defined for the
> > wiki, e.g., site-cvs@jakarta.apache.org
>
>It doesn't fit into the way the wiki structures the pages, unfortunately.
>It would be more natural.  That is unless we want to have a single wiki with
>the subprojects just being pages.  But then everyone will get the change
>notices for all the page changes and it will tougher for subprojects to
>monitor changes specific to their pages.
>
>I guess I missed some big discussions somewhere about the oversight
>requirements for the wiki page content.  Did anyone lurk/participate in that
>discussion.  Are there legal reasons we have to maintain oversight or is it
>just a need/desire to keep pages correct, etc?

I am unsure about any legal reasons but receiving notifications on
changes (think CVS) is so much part of the Apache culture. Several
members have been complaining, and rightly so, about the notification
issue since the first day the wiki on Nagoya was set up. If we pretend
to offer a modicum of quality to our users, then there is a need to
supervise that offer. Quite basic stuff -- basic as in fundamental not
as in simple.

As long as at least one person who cares gets the notification upon change,
then we will do fine.

--
Ceki Gülcü