logging-general mailing list archives

From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Granting committer status to log4net developers
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:27:24 GMT
At 09:38 PM 1/6/2004 -0800, Mark Womack wrote:
> > I think we should keep in mind our primary objective, that is the
> > development of open software in a collaborative fashion. For the case
> > of the incoming sub-projects, we must first ensure the legal
> > properness of the incoming software. Second, we must make sure that
> > the incoming software is and will continue to be developed in an open
> > and collaborative fashion. I would like to emphasize the term
> > "continuos development". There is no desire to harbor orphaned code such
> > as LF5.
> >
> > The objectives are clear but there is no miracle recipe to ensure
> > success. The integration of the sister projects will take time and
>patience.
>
>I completely agree.  And while there is no miracle recipe, I am still very
>fuzzy as to the process that will take place during the incubation period.
>What steps need to be taken, what questions need to be answered?

Jakarta has a document entitled "Subproject Proposals " which is
available here: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/newproject.html It's a
must read and serves as a valuable guide. However, the problem with
that document is that no Jakarta project has ever met *all* of the
mentioned criteria at their time of entry. Strict rules which are only
applicable in an ideal world tend to do more harm than good.

We are all volunteers so there is no way to force anyone to do
anything. Assuming the legal hurdles cleared, my idea was to play the
wait-and-see game. If an incoming project plays well, then it will
graduate from incubation. If it doesn't, it will remain incubated or
will be eventually removed.

Does that sound good to you?

--
Ceki Gülcü