logging-general mailing list archives

From Paul Smith <paul.sm...@lawlex.com.au>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL]: Migrate Bugzilla to JIRA for the LS Project
Date Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:48:27 GMT
On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 08:32, Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> I wonder why the other projects chose to migrate to JIRA. What is wrong
> with what we have currently, or what does JIRA bring to the table?

I've personally found that Bugzilla is a little hard to manage (we use
it at my work too).  JIRA seems to have an easier to use interface, and
can be setup to suit individuals (both the issue reporter, and the issue
resolver).  If you take a few moments to have a browse around JIRA, I
think you might like it.

> Migrating our existing Bugzilla database to JIRA is probably no small
> task. Are you sure the move is worth your effort?

I wouldn't expect it to be easy, be nice if it was.  There are already
learnings about this process from others within Apache, so I would
expect not to encounter anywhere near the effort the 'first-timers'
have.

> Some people might object to have part of our project infrastructure
> run outside the ASF. It may not be an issue right now, but I bet
> it will become an issue at a later time.

I was also hoping that this would not be the case for too long, I could
not see a reason why JIRA could not be hosted by Apache.  Enough Apache
projects seemed to be moving to this, it seems worth considering.

This is of course why this is a proposal, so that everyone can discuss
further. If there is no grass-roots support for the move, there's no
point. I just wanted to take the time to let people think about it.

Paul