logging-general mailing list archives

From "Mark Womack" <mwom...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Setup Logging Wiki
Date Fri, 09 Jan 2004 04:52:16 GMT
Yoav,

I agree that the free form nature of the wiki can sometimes be a harm as
well as a benefit.  The part that I like most is that anyone can participate
in creating the content, not just the committers.  So, if someone out there
gets the gumption to create and maintain a bunch of useful pages, they can
do it.  It would be a great first step towards becoming a committer.  Then
they could update/maintain real web pages. ;-)

-Mark

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Logging General" <general@logging.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 5:14 AM
Subject: RE: [VOTE] Setup Logging Wiki

Howdy,

> From reading past e-mails on the subject of the wiki at Nagoya, there
>has been some concern that the size of the Wiki has meant no-one is
>keeping an eye on the content.

I would that there's something even worse, which is lack of version
control, leading to an ability for anyone to simply wipe out a page
which may have contained much valuable information from many users.
This happened to us with an important section of the tomcat wiki faq
page.

This is one of the reasons I don't much care for a public wiki, but much
prefer a normal web FAQ page (i.e. maintained and updated by people with
CVS access to logging-site, e.g. the jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/faq).  I
think wiki is nice in theory for this sort of use, but I haven't seen it
work in practice yet.

That said, there's no harm in having a wiki since it's not a critical
resource, so I don't mind having it sit there ;)

Yoav Shapira

sender.  Thank you.