logging-general mailing list archives

From Michael CATANZARITI <mca...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Logging Services project at Apache
Date Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:57:48 GMT
Hello !

First of all, I'd like to ask an administrative question :
Have we only to sign a CLA or have we to sign also a software grant ?
If yes, I'm not sure of the meaning of the different fields to fill
("Signed by", "print name", "title", "representing").
Can anybody help me ?

About the two C++ twin sisters projects log4cplus and log4cxx :

My aim, with creating log4cxx, was to integrate it in a project written
in both C++ and Java languages. This project would use log4cxx in the
C++ part and log4j in the Java part. From this requirement, other
requirements appear :
- log4cxx should keep exactly the same APIs as in log4j in order to help
and not disturb developers using C++ and Java in the same project.
- log4cxx configuration file syntax should me the same as in log4j to
allow the user of the project to configure the log with only one config.
file (XML or property file)
- As many as possible log4cxx appenders and layout should be compatible
with the corresponding log4j appenders and layout, in order to log with
the same format and to the same target. For instance, both
XMLSocketAppenders should be able to log to the same SocketServer, both
FileAppenders should be able to log to the same file, etc...

All these requirements are almost fulfilled in log4cxx (excepted the
date format in the log4cxx PatternLayout which is not compatible with log4j)

Moreover, log4cxx base classes offer an instrospection model, which is
used to allow developers to create custom appenders, layouts, loggers,
and levels.

In conclusion, I am in favour to merge both projects, but all theses
features should be kept in the resulting project !

Michael