livy-user mailing list archives

From Prabhu Kasinathan <vasurampra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: user defined sessionId / URI for Livy sessions
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2017 15:22:17 GMT
Livy currently doesn't have this feature now.

Here, is the Jira for that: https://issues.cloudera.org/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/LIVY-41.
PayPal is already having that feature in production and Meisam had submitted pull request
for this feature to Livy.

https://github.com/meisam/livy/wiki/Design-doc-for-Livy-41:-Accessing-sessions-by-name

Thanks!
Prabhu
iPhone. iTypos. iApologize.

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Graham Hukill <ghukill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I wondered if it was possible to set the session URI when creating a new one?  I see
from the Livy REST API documentation (https://livy.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/rest-api.html),
under POST /sessions, some of the arguments that you can pass when initializing a new session,
such as "kind", "name", etc.

> As I understand it now, sessionId's are automatically created when POSTing to /sessions,
setting the ID as an incrementing digit from "0" when Livy starts.  If Livy is restarted,
the numbering drops back to "0".

> Normally this would not present a problem, but we are planning on starting/stopping Livy
sessions from another application, and could envision a scenario where:
> a session is started in Livy at /sessions/0
> that session ID is associated in our ancillary app with a particular user or job
> Livy restarts, then when a new session is started, the pointer to /sessions/0 is actually
a different Livy/SparkSession
> Ideally, it would be helpful if we could mint a session ID with a PUT request, something
like PUT /sessions/foobar, where "foobar" is the newly created sessionId.

> Is this currently possible in any way?  or are there undocumented configurations that
can be passed with the POST request for creating new sessions that would define the sessionId?