livy-user mailing list archives

From Vivek <viveksuva...@yahoo.co.in>
Subject Re: user defined sessionId / URI for Livy sessions
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2017 01:19:50 GMT
One other option is to turn on session recovery.
This ensures that the session ids are unique

Sent from my iPhone

> On 6 Sep 2017, at 12:10 AM, Graham Hukill <ghukill@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Prabhu,
>
> Thanks so much for the information, nice to know it's been formally requested.
>
> thanks,
> Graham
>
>> On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Prabhu Kasinathan <vasuramprabhu@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> Livy currently doesn't have this feature now.
>>
>> Here, is the Jira for that: https://issues.cloudera.org/plugins/servlet/mobile#issue/LIVY-41.
PayPal is already having that feature in production and Meisam had submitted pull request
for this feature to Livy.

>> https://github.com/meisam/livy/wiki/Design-doc-for-Livy-41:-Accessing-sessions-by-name
>>

>> Thanks!
>> Prabhu
>> iPhone. iTypos. iApologize.
>>
>>> On Sep 5, 2017, at 7:51 AM, Graham Hukill <ghukill@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wondered if it was possible to set the session URI when creating a new one?
 I see from the Livy REST API documentation (https://livy.incubator.apache.org/docs/latest/rest-api.html),
under POST /sessions, some of the arguments that you can pass when initializing a new session,
such as "kind", "name", etc.

>>> As I understand it now, sessionId's are automatically created when POSTing to
/sessions, setting the ID as an incrementing digit from "0" when Livy starts.  If Livy is
restarted, the numbering drops back to "0".

>>> Normally this would not present a problem, but we are planning on starting/stopping
Livy sessions from another application, and could envision a scenario where:
>>> a session is started in Livy at /sessions/0
>>> that session ID is associated in our ancillary app with a particular user or
job
>>> Livy restarts, then when a new session is started, the pointer to /sessions/0
is actually a different Livy/SparkSession
>>> Ideally, it would be helpful if we could mint a session ID with a PUT request,
something like PUT /sessions/foobar, where "foobar" is the newly created sessionId.

>>> Is this currently possible in any way?  or are there undocumented configurations
that can be passed with the POST request for creating new sessions that would define the sessionId?