libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Tomaz Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Load Balancers support
Date Thu, 14 Apr 2011 19:42:41 GMT
Replies are in-line.

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Grig Gheorghiu <grig.gheorghiu@gmail.com>wrote:

> probably shouldn't be a top-level module. Also, I don't understand why it's
> called "lb"; it's completely non-descriptive and not even a common acronym.
> >>
> >> LB is actually a very common acronym in systems administration.
> >
> > +1, and although I have yet to grok the new module layout, perhaps we can
> throw it into something like libcloud.networking.lb?
> >
> > Yet, I am having a difficult time thinking of non-load balancer
> networking components currently available.
> >

> Well in EC2 you have Elastic IPs that could be managed inside a
> networking package.

Correct, but the Elastic IP functionality is a bit different than the load
balancer one. Elastic IPs are tied to a Node and some of the functionality
already lives in the EC2 driver.

In contrast, the load balancer functionality is currently totally decoupled
from the Nodes.

I am not totally sure, but for example, maybe we should also allow users to
pass in a Node object instead of the IP address to the balancer_attach_node
and other functions and the function would read private / public IP address
from the Node object.

But, yeah, in general I am for the libcloud.networking.* namespace.

Grig