libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Tomaz Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>
Subject [libcloud] libcloud roadmap and plans for the future
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 20:31:09 GMT
I know that the development of the storage API has started just recently,
but I would still love talk about the libcloud roadmap and plans for the
future.

I would eventually like to see the following features:

- non-blocking / asynchronous version of libcloud - I know that this is a
major feature and requires a lot of work, but it would be very cool if, in
the future you could do something like this:

from libcloud.compute.drivers.sync import EC2Driver - imports blocking
version of the driver
from libcloud.compute.drivers.async import EC2Driver - imports not-blocking
version of the driver

Since Twisted is pretty much a de-facto standard for creating non-blocking
Python applications, I think we should also use it for a non-blocking
version of out library.

- "Resources" concept - this feature is also be a pretty major one and
requires a lot of thought.

A "Resource" would be a generic concept which would represent a some kind of
"Cloud resource" - a resource could be an IP address, load balancer, etc.

This would basically allow us to implement a lot of (currently) provider
specific feature, but in a generic way so it would later be easy to adapt it
to work with a different provider.

- Python 3.x support - Jed has already suggested this on IRC. I actually
haven't tested libcloud with Python 3.x yet, so I don't know how many things
needs to be changed to make it work (without using 2to3 or a similar tool).

Thoughts, opinions?

Thanks,
Tomaz