libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Tomaz Muraus <to...@cloudkick.com>
Subject [libcloud] Driver maintainers
Date Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:11:06 GMT
Today I have proposed an idea on IRC about having one maintainer for each
driver.

The driver's maintainer primary responsibility would be to keep up to date
with the driver and API which he is maintaining and make a necessary changes
if a new image or functionality gets added / existing one changes / API
changes / etc.

This does't mean that other people are not allowed to contribute to this
drivers (outside contributions are encouraged and more then welcome), but it
means that we have at least one person on which we can rely that will fix /
update the driver in a timely manner if the API changes / whatever.

Paul has expressed multi concerns about it:.

- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-589.
- "you end up with code no one touches for years because there is a
maintainer label on it":

<pquerna> you end up with code no one touches for years because there is a
> maintainer label on it
> <Kami_> I don't mean that other people shouldn't touch the code is someone
> else is a maintainer
> <Kami_> but the maintainer should be up-to date what's going on with the
> apis he is maintaining and if something changes he will probably be the
> first one to notice and fix it
> <pquerna> yes, but having a maintainer line thats what 'seems' to happened
> <pquerna> at least it did with modules inside httpd

I agree that we shouldn't name this person an "author", but a "maintainer"
sounds fine imo.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Tomaz