libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From "Schwartz, Philip Marc (LNG-BCT)" <Philip.Schwa...@lexisnexis.com>
Subject RE: [libcloud] Removal of the Java bindings
Date Thu, 09 Dec 2010 15:16:05 GMT
It is not a hold up to TLP status, but without more support and drive for a java interface,
there will always be a lack of community for it other then you Eric. That is not meant as
any disrespect as you have been a strong driving factor in aspects of libcloud as a whole,
but in order to gain ground and more support, I feel we need to focus on a singular system
that can have a strong community. By no means should we get rid of your code, but I think
a second project libcloud-java for example (yes, bad name) that would stay as an incubator
project and be based on libcloud would be best for the community as a whole.

I know the original drive was for a standard api spec that can be used from any language,
but I feel that is out of the scope for an Apache project and we should maybe even look to
RFC it as a standard spec while libcloud focuses on a set implementation. At this time, this
would be the Python implementation, not because it is a Python over java thing, but because
of the level of competition of the Python code. I have no objections to having collaboration
between the 2 projects, but I feel it would hold back the community at this time.

What I purpose is the following.

1. Move the java implementation into a separate incubator project with a strong understanding
that it is a implementation of an api spec as being developed by the libcloud project.

2. Get a spec complete that we can share with anyone on the web that would be interested in
use. This will be more help in the long run along with having our goals as a standard out
there for other projects to follow and even purpose RFC spec changes for as needed. RFC authoring
guidelines: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2223

3. Finish working out community participation and support issues as discussed earlier this
week allowing for a new vote for TLP status unless the previous was sufficient.

Thank You,
Philip Schwartz
Software Engineering
LexisNexis RIAG