libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Eric Woods <woods...@gmail.com>
Subject [libcloud] Java Update
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:20:05 GMT
Hi all,

I've dropped another substantial update in the Java repository.  The latest
contribution includes Rackspace support from Mike Mayo.  This now brings
Java's driver support to 6 drivers (thanks Mike)!

Looking forward, a post was recently made about storage support in Apache
libcloud:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-libcloud/201006.mbox/%3CAANLkTik_8eXuqEL5l7TEihhU83_o2xf1g-xszkRjj4rO@mail.gmail.com%3E

I think bringing storage support under the libcloud umbrella is an excellent
initiative.  To test the waters, I've started tinkering with SimpleCloud in
the Java project (similar to libcloud in philosophy, but provides storage,
queue, and table support for cloud solutions).  One concerning difference
with SimpleCloud is that each provider brings their own custom
infrastructure to the table and then wraps this infrastructure with the
SimpleCloud interface.  After designing and writing the Java code base, I
really like the design patterns employed by libcloud, which enable drivers
to simply plug into its infrastructure without a lot custom baggage
(beautiful!).  It follows that I'm heavily leveraging libcloud's design
patterns and common components to bring SimpleCloud in under libcloud.  I've
made some initial steps in factoring out libcloud's common components (e.g.
ConnectionKey, ResponseHandler, etc) for use with SimpleCloud's services.
And to kick it off, I'm developing a "Driver" for Amazon S3 first.

I encourage you all to review the latest commit to the Java repository:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/libcloud/sandbox/java/trunk/src/.
I'm happy with how the structure if falling into place so far.

Thoughts, questions, concerns?  I'd love to gather any and all feedback for
discussion.

Thanks!
Eric W.

P.S. Apologies for the massive commit; repository problems...