libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Russell <russellhaer...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] ideas on improving exceptions usage
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2010 18:13:31 GMT
On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:57 AM, Paul Querna <paul@querna.org> wrote:

> I think we should try to include a little more meta-data in the base
> exception class, like the driver.
>
> Also in this specific example, I would like another specific
> exception, LibcloudMalformedResponseException or such, because this is
> one of the most common errors we see from various providers.  We also
> will want another one for providers that return 500s or 400s to API
> calls, maybe LibcloudHTTPException, probably would be nice to include
> the response body / HTTP code in it.
>
> Happy to hack on it a bit, but I think you could commit the patch you
> have to trunk and we can iterate from there.
>
> -Paul

+1 for this. I'd also like to see some differentiation between exceptions
that can be safely retried (a read operation failed or a write operation
failed without before the write occurred) and those that can't (a write
operation that succeeded but returned a malformed response). This probably
wouldn't be the easiest thing to do (other than distinguishing between GETs
and POSTs) but would be great from a user perspective.

-Russell