libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Bicking <i...@colorstudy.com>
Subject [libcloud] Are people using libcloud with non-Python environments?
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 15:42:14 GMT
Given recent discussion, I'm curious: is there anyone using libcloud from a
non-Python environment, and if so, how?  And how is it going?  E.g., running
it with Jython, or in a subprocess, or with separate servers, or...
whatever?

It seems like there's two basic motivations underlying this discussion:

1. People who don't use Python want access to what libcloud does
2. People who don't use Python want a codebase they can feel comfortable
with and contribute to

And then there's just some language politics.  I feel like the perspective
so far in these threads has been mostly from 2 and not 1.  And the answers
to these two motivations are pretty different.  If you want access to what
libcloud does (1), probably the first thing to work on would be some
serialized protocol for the objects and methods in libcloud (e.g.,
JSONRPC).  If you want to write other implementations (2), probably the
first thing to work on would be language-neutral tests (making the tests
more data-drive).

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org