libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Haggar <pfhag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [libcloud] Java Skeleton Available
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 18:50:59 GMT
The charter (http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/LibcloudProposal) mentions
Python but does not say libCloud is Python only and will remain such.  I
think it's a great idea to bring libCloud to another language like Java.  It
can only help to broaden libCloud's appeal and applicability.  It will also
likely broaden the libCloud community.

There are other libraries available, like jcoulds.  However, that in and of
itself is not a reason to stop innovating here.  One thing I think is
important is to be able to tell people to go to a single location for a
consistent provider neutral API vs. multiple places that will have different
APIs.  Furthermore, choice in the market is important, so if people choose
jclouds, great, but let's not make that choice for them.

Now, this brings up something else I wanted to get some feedback on.  One
issue with libCloud is that when you want to bring it to another language,
like Java or something else down the road, it requires a port of the engine,
plus the different provider adapters.  Should we consider a different
approach?  For example, what if we wrote the engine in C and provided a C
interface for the APIs (reboot_node, create_node, list_images, etc).  This
way I can write my code in any language and just call out to C to interface
with the libCloud library.  Yes, this would require a rewrite of the exising
Python base to C, but it would put to rest the language discussions as well
as give us a single engine to maintain, vs. multiple.  I think this could be
a positive step forward and really broaden the appeal of libCloud.
Thoughts?

Peter