libcloud-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Querna <p...@querna.org>
Subject Re: [libcloud] blockers for first release
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:02:25 GMT
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 01:39:56PM -0800, Paul Querna wrote:
>> From an ASF legal/policy side, I think we are currently passing the
>> RAT tests.
>
> I have no clue what this means. Could any of the code changes we
> discussing affect this, or is this more of an organisational status?

RAT is a tool the ASF uses to check if a release contains only validly
licensed files:
<http://incubator.apache.org/rat/>

libcloud's current output is here:
<http://ci.apache.org/projects/libcloud/rat-output.txt>

>> potential blockers:
>>  - Removal of Zope Interfaces.  People talked about it, but no code
>> was committed.
>
> I don't feel strongly about this at all. IIRC, the primary argument was
> that it might be difficult for people to fulfill this dependency. I
> question the validity of this concern:
>
>  * Looking at http://download.zope.org/distribution/ it seems clear that
>   the Zope interface code is distributed separately, and is even
>   available as an egg, so you don't have to mess around with a full Zope
>   stack just to get to the interface code.
>  * Debian, Ubuntu, and Fedora all provide this as a package.
>  * Have we actually have anyone complain about this, or are we just
>   assuming that this is difficult for people?
>
> Sorry about not chiming in on this sooner. I was otherwise engaged when
> the discussion went on last time. :)
>
>> Thoughts from the crowd?
>
> I'm working on this CLI tool[1] for libcloud, but I'm not completely
> sure we want it included in libcloud, since it doesn't expose all of
> libcloud's functionality (anything provider specific is not exposed at
> all at the moment).
>
> [1]: https://launchpad.net/~soren/libcloud/cloudctl

Isn't the fact that it doesn't expose provider specific things.... just fine?

I certainly see a bundled tool like that being something we should
include, and very useful to get people going.