lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Support for Active Directory???
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:28:30 GMT
Hi,

jazzhazze schrieb:
> How active is the user community of Lenya?

http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists.html#lenya.apache.org

We have user meetings in Europe (Germany/Switzerland) approx. twice a year.

> How often is the product updated?

1.2.3    05-May-2005
1.2.4    26-Jun-2005
1.2.5    27-Feb-2007
2.0      08-Jan-2008

2.0.1 is ready and will be released as soon as the new website is
published. The 1.2.x branch is very stable, therefore there haven't been
many releases lately. The 2.0 release took a lot of initial effort, thus
the large gap between the major releases.

> Are there any "libraries" with user contributed files/modules etc.?

Not that I'm aware of. Some organizations (e.g., the University of
Zurich) have Lenya committers in their teams and commit their add-ons
directly to the Lenya codebase. Unfortunately, most of the others still
keep their customizations and add-ons for themselves.

> How mature is the product?

1.2.x is used by some large organizations (e.g., some Swiss
universities, the European patent office, the Mobiliar insurance
company) for a couple of years now. Maybe some of the users can comment
on this?

> Why should anyone choose Lenya instead of, for example, Typo3?

 From my PoV:

Focus / Features:

- based on open standards
- cross media publishing capabilities (XML, FOP and Batik integration)
- extremely flexible and powerful rendering engine (XSLT, pipelines)
- very good EAI support through Cocoon
- XML validation ensures structured/semantic content and CI conformance
- WYSIWYG editors
- built-in web application framework (Cocoon, CForms, Flow)

Deployment:

- no database needed
- you can re-use an existing servlet container infrastructure (e.g.,
   Tomcat) with all its manageability, scalability and robustness
- many operations departements prefer Java to a PHP solution

Comments/additions are greatly appreciated :)

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH