lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Search index scope
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 10:23:58 GMT
solprovider@apache.org schrieb:
> On 4/2/08, Andreas Hartmann <andreas@apache.org> wrote:
>> Richard Frovarp schrieb:
>>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>  >> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>  >>> at the moment, we configure the search index per publication. It is
>>  >>> probably possible to use the same search index across multiple
>>  >>> publications, but I wonder if this flexibility is really necessary
or
>>  >>> could maybe be even harmful.
>>  >>>
>>  >>> I see the following advantages of using a common index for all
>>  >>> publications:
>>  >> I think a common index is bad, because
>>  >> - What if the index is becoming corrupt for whatever reason?
>>  >> - What if you want to use one single Lenya instance for hosting
>>  >> multiple publications and one needs to protect the content from each
>>  >> other
>>
>>  > I agree. We have about 60 different domains hosted through one Lenya
>>  > instance. They all are school related, so searching for basketball in
>>  > one should only give you that school's basketball information, not that
>>  > plus 40 other districts.
>>
>> BTW, narrowing down the search to languages etc. (and potentially
>>  publications) can be done by extending the query string:
>>    +({http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/}title:Hello) +(language:en)
>>  -- Andreas
>
> Possibilities:
> 1. Standard configuration copied to each publication.
> The current situation.
>
> 2. Common configuration using publication-relative directories:
> The standard configuration is contained in one location.  Each
> publication has separate index.  A publication needing custom search
> configuration can create its own configuration.  (In 1.3, this will be
> overriding the necessary files in a publication Module.  Does 2.x have
> similar abilities?)

Yes, this could be done with including the config file e.g. via

   fallback://config/search/index.xml

> An advantage is easier maintenance -- changes to
> the standard configuration are immediately used by all Publications.

Makes sense.

> 2. Common index for multiple publications.
> Configure publications to opt-in.  This should not exclude
> publication-specific indexes.  Also allow several multiple publication
> indexes to create sets of Publications.  Users or developers may
> choose to use the publication-specific or a common index depending on
> needs.

It looks like most people would prefer separate indexes by default. So
the most useful change would probably be to make the index configuration
optional. Did I understand this correctly?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH