lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Search index scope
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:45:13 GMT
Richard Frovarp schrieb:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Lenya users,
>>>
>>> at the moment, we configure the search index per publication. It is
>>> probably possible to use the same search index across multiple
>>> publications, but I wonder if this flexibility is really necessary or
>>> could maybe be even harmful.
>>>
>>> I see the following advantages of using a common index for all
>>> publications:
>>

>> I think a common index is bad, because
>>
>> - What if the index is becoming corrupt for whatever reason?
>> - What if you want to use one single Lenya instance for hosting
>> multiple publications and one needs to protect the content from each
>> other
> I agree. We have about 60 different domains hosted through one Lenya
> instance. They all are school related, so searching for basketball in
> one should only give you that school's basketball information, not that
> plus 40 other districts.

I see your points.
So, to get a cross-publication search, one could either

   - configure the pubs to use the same index or

   - build an aggregating search (probably by extending the
     SearchGenerator to search multiple indexes and merge the hit lists)

Do you think that cross-publication asset and link management would be
nice to have, or do you consider it unnecessary?

Thanks for your comments!

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO