lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Search index scope
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:16:38 GMT
Hi Lenya users,

at the moment, we configure the search index per publication. It is
probably possible to use the same search index across multiple
publications, but I wonder if this flexibility is really necessary or
could maybe be even harmful.

I see the following advantages of using a common index for all publications:

- Less configuration, easier maintenance.

- Narrowing down the search to a single publication (or a set of
publications) is easy (just add a search term), extending it beyond the
index scope is (AFAIK) impossible.

- The asset and link management usecases could be used to include
documents from other publications. (In this case, the link URI would
include the publication ID of the target to allow link resolving when
rendering the page.)

But maybe there are advantages of per-publication indexes that I haven't
considered yet. WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO