lenya-user mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: Search index scope
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:39:38 GMT
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> Hi Lenya users,
> at the moment, we configure the search index per publication. It is
> probably possible to use the same search index across multiple
> publications, but I wonder if this flexibility is really necessary or
> could maybe be even harmful.
> I see the following advantages of using a common index for all
> publications:

I think a common index is bad, because

- What if the index is becoming corrupt for whatever reason?
- What if you want to use one single Lenya instance for hosting multiple
publications and one needs to protect the content from each other

> - Less configuration, easier maintenance.
> - Narrowing down the search to a single publication (or a set of
> publications) is easy (just add a search term), extending it beyond
> the index scope is (AFAIK) impossible.
> - The asset and link management usecases could be used to include
> documents from other publications. (In this case, the link URI would
> include the publication ID of the target to allow link resolving when
> rendering the page.)
> But maybe there are advantages of per-publication indexes that I
> haven't considered yet. WDYT?
> -- Andreas

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61