lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Scaling Lenya for high volume websites
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:24:59 GMT
Seth Gottlieb schrieb:
> Hello list,
>
> I am working on an evaluation of Lenya and I was wondering about common
> strategies for scaling to high traffic volumes.  I noticed some posts
> recommending the use of reverse proxies and I saw this article:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-data/attachments/GT2006Notes/attachments/10-caching.pdf
>

> Does anyone know what high traffic sites like NZZ and Wired do?  Do they
> deploy static HTML to simple web servers?

That's one approach. If you don't need dynamic content, it is the best
practise. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you any details about
the live sites you mentioned above, but the deployment is quite
straightforward. The most critical aspect is publishing the static pages
(deleting old ones etc.)

> Do they deploy the
> publication to a cluster of read-only Lenya instances?

If you need dynamic content (personalization etc.), this is the most
common approach. A customer ran the live site on a load-balanced cluster
of 8 machines (distributed across 2 buildings) with 2 Tomcats each. The
content was shared via NFS.
If you use this scenario, make sure to fine-tune the caching
(http://lenya.apache.org/docs/2_0_x/tutorials/production.html).

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO