lenya-user mailing list archives

From "Bob Harner" <bobhar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scaling Lenya for high volume websites
Date Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:43:27 GMT
On Nov 13, 2007 2:04 PM, Seth Gottlieb <seth@contenthere.net> wrote:
> Thanks Andreas!  This is very helpful.
>
> --Seth
>
> On Nov 13, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
> > Seth Gottlieb schrieb:
> >> Hello list,
> >>
> >> I am working on an evaluation of Lenya and I was wondering about
> >> common
> >> strategies for scaling to high traffic volumes.  I noticed some posts
> >> recommending the use of reverse proxies and I saw this article:
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-data/attachments/GT2006Notes/
> >> attachments/10-caching.pdf
> >>

> >> Does anyone know what high traffic sites like NZZ and Wired do?
> >> Do they
> >> deploy static HTML to simple web servers?
> >
> > That's one approach. If you don't need dynamic content, it is the best
> > practise. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you any details about
> > the live sites you mentioned above, but the deployment is quite
> > straightforward. The most critical aspect is publishing the static
> > pages
> > (deleting old ones etc.)
> >
> >> Do they deploy the
> >> publication to a cluster of read-only Lenya instances?
> >
> > If you need dynamic content (personalization etc.), this is the most
> > common approach. A customer ran the live site on a load-balanced
> > cluster
> > of 8 machines (distributed across 2 buildings) with 2 Tomcats each.
> > The
> > content was shared via NFS.
> > If you use this scenario, make sure to fine-tune the caching
> > (http://lenya.apache.org/docs/2_0_x/tutorials/production.html).
> >
> > -- Andreas

On the high end, you could also engage a content delivery network like
Akamai or Mirror Image if you have the money.  Such services can be
very effective at caching dynamic content as long as the content is
the same for all users and having the served content be a few minutes
old is acceptable.

At my organization we serve our high-traffic Lenya 1.2 sites by having
Lenya publish static HTML page components (unaggregated parts of
pages) to disk and relying on the web server to assemble, cache and
serve the pages using server-side includes.  (Wherever a pipeline
would ordinarily aggregate a component into a page, instead of
including the component, it would aggregate an SSI include statement
pointing to that component.)  This is enormously faster than unproxied
Lenya, and it nicely isolates the site from the CMS for a security
benefit, but it *does* require some customization of Lenya.