lenya-user mailing list archives

From "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya questions
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:48:20 GMT
Sean Mitchell wrote:

> I see that 1.4 is not yet considered stable.. I'm wondering if I would be
> better off working in 1.2 or if the effort of migrating to a future release
> will be enough to warrant developing in 1.4 and waiting for maturity. My lead
> time is probably about 3-4 months before I would be going live.

i personally think that 3-4 months is plenty of time to get familiar
with 1.4 and find any issues that may still be in there.

> If I understand correctly, the only datasource for a generator is XML. Will
> this scale well on a busy site, having to parse the XML for every dynamic
> request? Is there a way to pass a DOM object instead?

cocoon / lenya uses sax streams, which are more efficient than a DOM,
plus extensive caching. the performance is really not an issue.

> Is there a writeup somewhere that will help me understand how to get a
> generator to pull content from a Java object? I see there is a cocoon:// url
> scheme, but it's not clear to me how I hook it up to my code.

best take a look at some generator source code in cocoon / lenya, plus

http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/generation/class-use/Generator.html