lenya-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lenya -- questions and observations
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 09:33:26 GMT
Hi Marc,

Marc wrote:
> Hi Andreas,

[...]

> I'll try find the time to draft something today based on your input and
> put it up for discussion.

OK, that would be great!

> You may be surprised why I harp so much on your homepage

Not at all, I'm used to that :)
Having read some books about website concepts, I know that there are
innumberable pitfalls.

[...]

>>>Database support?
>>>
>>> The CVS version seems to rely exclusively on filesystem based data
>>> storage. It is possible to use Lenya-managed database-based storage?
>>
>>We haven't implemented db-based storage and probably won't do this.
>>But it is planned to integrate Slide as a repository layer.

[..]

> In fact, IMHO Lenya
> should support any URL as a potential datasource for its generators just
> as Cocoon does. This includes the xmldb pseudo-protocol. Given the way
> Cocoon works, that shouldn't be all that difficult to implement.

At the moment, it's up to the publication to integrate Cocoon-based
DB support. You can use any generator that you want. What we might do
is implement an example. But I'm afraid that has a quite low priority.

> This is for me at least a make-or-break feature, one which I would be
> quite prepared to put work in myself if we come to the conclusion that
> Lenya is the way to go.

So let's hope you'll come to this conclusion - I'll do my best ... :)

> org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Failed to execute pipeline.:
> java.io.FileNotFoundException:
> TOMCAT_DIR/webapps/lenya/lenya/pubs/docs-new/content/xdocs/tab-cocoon-v10.dtd

> Corresponding errors exist for all the other demo applications, the reason
> being that the dtds and their helper files are indeed not at the place
> where they are supposed to be (at least in my CVS version)

This is the most frequently reported error.
Usually, if you enter an absolute path for install.dir in
build.properties, this shouldn't happen. The entity resolver
is configured in cocoon.xconf which is patched by cocoon-xconf.xsl.

BTW, is someone familiar with the xpatch task used by Cocoon?
Could it somehow improve the situation?

> Thanks for the invitation. In fact, I'd be quite prepared to do so if we
> come to the conclusion that Lenya is the way to go for us. That will also
> depend on our projects, evidently.

OK, I'm looking forward to further comments and suggestions.

Thanks!
Andreas