lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Thorsten Scherler <thors...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Future directions
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 00:26:41 GMT

On 14/01/2010, at 00:06, Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> From my point of view the most valuable new feature is the servlet-service framework.
It takes pipeline modularization to a whole new level. E.g. you can define a pipeline in a
module and delegate particular transformation steps, and even the serialization, to a different
module. I'm pretty certain that Lenya could benefit from this feature. But I doubt that it
is worth the migration to Cocoon 2.2.

C3 is using that as well.

>> Having said this this reminds me on an really old conversion I had
>> with Antonio that the best way to develop a new version would be to
>> start to outline the functionality and architecture of the new
>> version and AFTERWARDS to implement it.
>
> Yes, this makes sense. I still think that the current Lenya 2.2 "experiment" was/is worth
the effort because it helped me to get a feeling for Cocoon 2.2 and evaluate it for Lenya
and for other projects. But, as Thorsten pointed out, we should start from scratch and do
some preliminary design work if we consider the migration again.

> BTW, a colleague of mine developed another part of the application I mentioned using
OSGi. You'd need a hammer and chisel to remove him from this platform. It would certainly
still need some pioneer spirit to bet on OSGi for a web application, but Sling is already
doing it and if this is still in the pipeline for Cocoon (pun intended) you can count me in.

C3 is osgi supported AFAIR. I used c3 in Apache Droids thanks to Bertil (a droids user) and
I really liked to create pipelines pure java based with a couple of lines. In another customer
project I had to communicate with a webservice and use the xml based response to do other
steps. In the end I implemented a small generate - transform/serialize approach but wished
to use c3 for that since it would be much easier and faster to develop (especially because
we develop for a team mix of junior and senior devs so something well known as cocoon is easy
to teach to the juniors).

However c3 is awesome for presentation layer I think most devs agree here but in a new Lenya
version we should reuse as many open source implementations as possible for our different
features. For me using something like
http://java-source.net/open-source/workflow-engines
for our workflow and yeah preferable from Apache.

I think we have a pretty good community to integrate as many pre-requisition taken from production
and implement a cleaner Apache Lenya based on standard implementation with a bigger active
developer base.

We need to have another Apache Lenya user meeting to do the brainstorming till first implementation
hacking.

salu2