lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 for 2.0.x branch?
Date Tue, 07 Jul 2009 12:18:15 GMT
Michael Wechner schrieb:
> Richard Frovarp schrieb:
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>>
>>> +1, but I think even if everyone says +1 you should give it some lead
>>> time, for example 1 month, by saying
>>>
>>> [ANNOUNCEMENT] Switching to Java 1.5 by August 1st
>>>
>>> which means until then all code still needs to be 1.4 compatible and
>>> hence gives those people who use 1.4 enough time
>>> to switch to 1.5 on their platform.
>> Not a bad idea. However, we would only be switching trunk. Those
>> relying on 1.4 shouldn't running trunk in production. No one should be
>> relying on trunk except devs.
>
> who says that?  Because of various bug fixes and no releases one is
> often forced to use a particular trunk revision. Maybe "should" makes
> sense, but it doesn't have to be reality at all.

IMO this is a good point.

I reverted the changes, the 2.0.x branch should now be compatible with
Java 1.4 again.

How about the following procedure:

* Announce that after 2.0.3 we'll move to Java 1.5
* Release 2.0.3 (I guess this will at least take 3 weeks)
* Start coding for Java 1.5 after the release

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO