lenya-dev mailing list archives

From Jann Forrer <jann.for...@id.uzh.ch>
Subject Re: Java 1.5 for 2.0.x branch?
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 08:21:19 GMT
Michael Wechner wrote:
> rudolf.korhummel@uniklinik-freiburg.de schrieb:
>>
>> BTW:
>> I think the implemetation of processes should depend on facts. I.e. If
>> there were problems with Java versions in the past we should
>> implement it.
>> If not please show the benefits.
>>

> we still have customers which are using Java 1.4. Period.
> And I cannot force them to upgrade. Period.
>
> I am not saying this, because I think the Lenya community has to
> respect our customers or Wyona because of myself,
> I am saying this, because I think it's exactly this kind of
> "ignorance" which make a lot of people not use Lenya,
> because these people cannot rely on it (especially re backwards
> compatibility)

I do not think that ignorance is the problem of the Lenya project!
But I agree that backwards compatibility is important (moreover it seems
import to me that upgrading to a newer
version should be as painless as possible for customers).

Anyway we should not switch to 1.5 without announcing it! That is
certainly not customer friendly. The aproach Andreas
posted in a recent Mail i.e. to announce the switch for a next release
seems reliable for me

Jann

> Michael
>> Rudolf